This story is about a lifelong hunter who killed animals to provide food for his family. One day the hunter went out to hunt but was unsuccessful. Although he saw several doe, they would disappear before he could shoot an arrow. Before he went home a doe came to the hunter and spoke, telling him not to continue the sin of taking life and urged him to visit with a sage to purify himself. Thus, the hunter went in search of a sage, who then punished him for twelve years, but it cleared him of all his negative karma.
༉ སྲུང་ལུ་ ལྷམ་པ་ལེ་ཤ་ཡོད་པའི་ནང་ལས་ གསར་སྤང་རྗོང་ཁག་ལས་སྐྱིད་ཐང་ལས་ ཀར་ན་ཀུ་མར་གྷ་ལེ་གིས་གཏང་མི་སྲུང་འདི་ ཧེ་མ་ཤ་རོགསཔ་ཅིག་ མི་ཚེ་གཅིག་ཤ་བདའ་སྟེ་ ཁོ་རའི་བཟའ་ཚང་འཚོ་སྐྱོང་འཐབ་སྡོད་སྡོདཔ་ཨིནམ་ད་ ཉིནམ་ཅིག་ ཁོ་ཤ་བདའ་བར་སོངམ་ད་ ཤ་ཕུད་རྡོག་ཅིག་ར་མ་ཐོབ་ཨིན་མས། ཤ་མཐོང་མི་ཚུ་ཡང་ མདའ་རྐྱབ་པའི་སྐབས་ ག་སོང་གུ་སོང་མེད་པར་ཡལ་འགྱོ་སྟེ་ མཐའན་འཇུག་ལུ་ལྷོདཔ་ད་ ཤཝ་མོ་ཅིག་ཁོ་འབད་སར་འོང་སྦེ་ སེམས་ཅན་གསད་ནི་འདི་ གནམ་མེད་ས་མེད་ལས་ཡོདཔ་ལས་ སེམས་ཅན་མ་གསད་པར་ དྲང་སྲོང་ཅིག་དང་འཕྱད་དགོཔ་སྦེ་བསླབ་བྱ་བྱིན་བྱིནམ་མས། དེ་འབདཝ་ལས་ ཤ་རོགསཔ་དེ་དྲང་སྲོང་འཚོལ་ཏེ་ དྲང་སྲོང་དང་མཇལ་བའི་སྐབས་ ཁོ་ལུ་ཉེས་ཁྲིམས་ལོ་བཅུ་གཉིས་བཀལ་ཞིནམ་ལས་ སྡིག་པ་ཚུ་ཆ་མཉམ་དག་སོངཔ་ཨིན་པས། སྲུང་འདི་གི་བཅུད་དོན་དེ་ ཤ་བདའ་སྟེ་སྡིག་པ་འབད་མ་བཏུབ་པའི་ཁར་ དམ་པའི་ཆོས་བསྒྲུབས་ཏེ་དགེ་བ་འབད་དགོ་པའི་བསྐུལ་མ་འབདཝ་ཨིན་པས།
- Karna Kumar GhalleyNow, I am going to tell a story about "The Hunter." In english It's called "A Hunting man."
- Karna Kumar GhalleyThere was a hunter. He lived with his parents, two sons and a wife. In total they were five in numbers, including himself.
- Karna Kumar GhalleyAmong the five members, he was the one who used to go for hunting everyday. He survived with his family by killing deers and selling the meat. This was like destroying/killing other's life. It is because he was left with no other options.
- Karna Kumar GhalleySo, one day, like wise in the jungle he was waiting for hunt. There appears a deer. While he was about to shot [deer] by his gun, it suddenly disappears. Again another came, the same thing happens. Like wise he kept on trying to shot whole night in vain.
- Karna Kumar GhalleyWhen the dawn breaks, there appears a doe [female deer] and stand still. When he was about to shot, the doe says; "don't hit me." The hunter got supprised [doe spoke; the hunter said] and asked the doe why shouldn't I kill you?
- Karna Kumar GhalleyThe doe replied, I am going to tell you one thing. If you can fullfill what I say, then only you are allowed to kill me and take away. Other wise you won't. The hunter said; what's that? Till now you have commited a lot sins and raised you family [parents, wife and two sons]
- Karna Kumar GhalleyNow, you can go and I [doe] am going to stay here only. You [doe] go and ask you family [mother, father, wife and childern] whether they are willing to share you sins you have commited or not and then you come back. Doe said; if they [father, mother, wife and childern] are willing to share the sins you have commited, then only you are allowed to kill me and raise your family.
- Karna Kumar GhalleyThe hunter said; "my parents will definitely share my sins and then left for home. He asked his parents. Father, till now I have been hunting and raising you all by not opting for other works. So, till now I have commited a lot of sins. Are you all willing to share my sins or not?"
- Karna Kumar GhalleyThe father replied, see we gave birth and raised you. Now it's your responsibility to look after us in what ever possible ways. [whether you earn, steal, lie or by killing other's life] We are not in a position to share your sins even for one percentage.
- Karna Kumar GhalleyHe asked to his mother, he was given the same answer. He asked to his wife, again the same. He asked to his childern. The childern replied; "Since we are small, you gave us birth, it is your responsibility to look after us till we are able to take our own stand. So, we are not able to share the sins you have commited so far."
- Karna Kumar GhalleySince no body from his family are willing to share his sins, he went back to doe. The hunter said; "They are not willing to share my sins that I have commited so far. So, what am I suppose to do?" The doe said; "from now onwards you stay in the forest and visit a Sage, either you ask for forgiveness or be his servant. This is the only way where you are freed from sins. otherwise you won't. Then the doe disappers.
- Karna Kumar GhalleyThere after he [hunter] went in search for a Sage and manage to Biswamitra Sage's place. After meeting with him he learned about knowledge [Bidya] and was free from sins.
- Karna Kumar GhalleyBut what Biswamitra said is, you are a sinner, today you go and bring three sticks [cane] and get it dried in the smoke [above an ovan] for 12 years. Soon after he bought the sticks and dried over the ovan. [usually in Guru's place, the fire is made out of big logs]. He dried the sticks over the fire for 12 years.
- Karna Kumar GhalleyAfter 12 years Sage removed the sticks and asked the hunter to leave. Like wise while travelling, when ever there appears three green buds in the sticks, then you come back and then only you will be freed from sins [sage said] The hunter left [with sticks] and was looking for green buds ever since he left and spent 12 years.
- Karna Kumar GhalleyAfter 12 years, the hunter reached to a place and spent a night on the tree. While he was spending the night on the tree, there were six thives beneth the tree and were discussing/making a plan to go to a village and destroy. [few of them should be killed if does naughty and we shall bring gold and silver and grains]
- Karna Kumar GhalleyThe hunter heard and thought, if he kill the three thives, the village can be saved. While the thives were sleeping, he climbs down and killed the theives. After killing the theives, he climbs up to the same tree. The stick was still there. In the morning there appears three green buds on the stick which was dried for 12 years.
- Karna Kumar GhalleySince the Sage said; "when ever there appears three green buds, you shall be freed from your sins and you can come. The hunter took back the stick and narrates the whole incidients to Sage." The Sage said; "If you haven't killed those three thives [since killing was not soo diffcult for him as he was a hunter before], they would have killed lakes of people and have done more destruction."
- Karna Kumar GhalleySince the three thives were kille, the lives of many people were saved. So, now you are free from all sins and you shall enter heaven, blessed the Sage [Biswamitra]. So, I want to end today's tale here.